I do like a beef salad and this is my 3rd variation. Using the beef added to the salad makes it go a lot further. I made a basil, chipotle mayonnaise with my stick blender as well but the colour of it was a hideous muck green so I did not post it. It tasted ok though.
For this recipe I used
- 4 small pieces of beef fillet, marinated in garlic and olive oil and BBQ
- 5 medium sized carrots
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms left whole
- 4 small orange kumara
- 5 smallish red onions
- 2 whole beetroot (roasted in foil separately so the rest of the vege do not turn purple)
- 1 small red pepper finely sliced in strips
- 1 small yellow pepper finely sliced in strips
- 4 tomatoes into wedges
- sprig of rosemary and thyme, only because they are in the garden
- handful of finely chopped basil
- parmesan cheese about 1/2 to 1 cup grated on a fine grater plane
- handful of finely chopped italian parsley
- balsamic dressing made with good olive oil.
I started by roasting the beetroot in foil with its skin on for an hour and a half at 180C. Once cooled peel off the skin. It comes off very easily. Cut into chunks.
Next peel and cut the carrots and kumara lengthways , quarter the onions, leave the mushrooms whole and toss with lots of salt and black pepper and olive oil, rosemary and thyme.
Roast in the oven at 180C for about and hour, turning regularly at 10-15 mins intervals. Watch that they do not scorch too much.
I then mix the parmesan with the basil, parsley and black pepper.
To assemble the salad start with the rocket and a sprinkling of the parmesan cheese mixture.
Then the roasted vege and beetroot, some more cheese sprinklings, peppers and tomatoes, more cheese sprinklings and finally add the beef and the dressing and toss.