William my nephew who is a cyclist, inspired me to add some spinach when I was reading his blog 'Yarns of a kiwi cyclist'. He adds it to his bacon and egg fried rice.
I decided to use brown rice as I thought it would go well with the spinach.
Left over vegetables that needed using in my fridge were
- 1 courgette diced
- 1 orange pepper diced
- spinach sliced up ( you can use a lot as it cooks down to nothing)
- beansprouts - a big handful
I also added
- 1 chicken breast cut into pieces - any protein would be good or a combination
- 1 brown onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh finely chopped ginger
- sprinkling of finely chopped basil, as there was some on the bench
- tamari soy sauce
- sweet chile sauce
- 7 peppers, pepper
First off add 1 cup of brown rice in large pot of boiling water and boil until cooked. I often will put some rice on in the morning so when I want to make the fried for lunch or dinner it is already to go when you want to prepare the fried rice.
Next fry off the chicken in the wok or fry pan with some oil and then put aside.
Then cook the onion, courgette, garlic and ginger in the wok until softened and cooked down and a little browned, takes about 10 minutes followed by the spinach and beansprouts, They only take a minute to wilt away.
Finally add the rice and chicken and the soy sauce to your liking.
I add a blob of sweet chile on the top with the basil and some 7 peppers, pepper.
This is always a good meal as it stores well in the fridge ready for a re heat whenever you are hungry.