We had this salad for dinner last night, but the pictures are from the left overs that I had for my lunch today. I just added a few more fresh vegetables and herbs.
For this recipe you will need
- 500g minced chicken
- 500g minced pork
- 400g of thin rice noodles (soaked in cold water until flexible)
- 1 cup of finely sliced cabbage
- 1 cup of finely sliced cucumber (skinned and seeds removed)
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 small finely sliced red onion
- 1/2-1 cup of finely chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped galangal or green ginger
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander roots and stems
- 6 small finely chopped or 3 large kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons of jaggery or palm sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- chile flakes or 1-2 fresh chiles
Start off heating 2 tablespoons of plain oil to a wok or fry pan and gently saute on medium heat, garlic, galangal and coriander root and stems for a couple of minutes. Do not let it get to much colour.
Next, add the chicken and pork mince all at once and cook through. Add a little salt to taste. Then add the sugar, chile and fish sauce. Turn off the heat.
Meanwhile drain the rice noodles of the cold water, then cover with boiling water from the jug, drain immediately and then rinse with cold water to stop them getting over cooked. (you do not want them soggy).
Fold in the cucumber, cabbage, red onion, spring onions, bean sprouts,and peanuts, followed by the herbs, zest and juice of the limes. Add the noodles and combine. Taste for balance and add more of what you think it needs.
Serve and add extra herbs and sliced veges if you want on top.
This is a really flavoursome delicious healthy meal which can be eaten at room temperature.