I know this may look pretty bland and anaemic to you but the opposite is the case, well the bland part anyway. Lily loves this and requests it every other day. It is something that she craves. I have made it several times over the school holidays. It is really easy to put together if you have all the ingredients. There is something really clean and restorative about it.
For this recipe you will need
- 500 mls - 1litre of chicken stock (homemade is best) depending on how soupy you want it.
- 2 cups of cooked medium grain or sushi rice
- 5 long slices of green ginger
- 4 spring onions sliced on the diagonal
- chicken meatballs or raw sliced chicken breast
Put the chicken stock in a pot with the spring onions and ginger and heat. Add the cooked rice and simmer gently for about 10 minutes. You want the rice to become overcooked and swollen.
Either add the raw chicken to the broth and cook through or fry in a fan and add once cooked.
The meatballs have fresh ginger, spring onions and a tiny bit of garlic and of course salt. Simple and really tasty. I steamed them in a steamer before adding them to the soup.
Finally taste for enough salt as the rice takes it out of the stock.
Sprinkle with spring onions and chile pepper.