Thursday 14 April 2011

Quince Jelly

This is the first time I have cooked with quince.  I have always been intriqued and have often bought them when they are in season.  They have just stayed on the bench till they become unsightly and get thrown away eventually.  This time I made the effort and definately well worth it.



Take 3 medium sized quince wash the skins of there downy texture and chopped and core.
I added enough cold water to cover them about an inch.


Bring to the boil and them simmer for about 45mins to an hour or once they get squashy with a masher.
Then mash.  The consistency should be a little thinner than stewed apple.


Strain through several layers of muslin.  It takes about 4 hours to get out every last drop.


Ball up and twist the muslin and add some weights to get out every last drop.
I used the mortar and pestle among other things.


This is the lovely nectar that results.


Measure the amount, as for every cup of juice you have, add 1 small cup of sugar.
Bring to the boil and simmer.  It takes about 1 and 1/2 hours.  The longer it simmers the more it reduces and the colour intensifies.  After awhile the sugar liquid ratio becomes just so and it starts to bubble like lava.  This is a good sign that it is nearly there.
  

I had just over 4 cups of quince juice and it reduced to 2 cups of quince jelly.
The quince jelly I made below is really intensely red and clear.  The texture is very firm but still has a sticky quality.  Now that I know what I am doing (sort of) I would not have left it is long.  I would have preferred it to be less firm (more like a thick runny honey) and a softer pink colour.  The darker it becomes the sweeter it gets.


I love to eat quince jelly with cheese and crackers.  The flavour is just heaven and the colour like no other.  I will find other uses for it.










No comments:

Post a Comment